The oldest cemetery included in this index is the Shearer Cemetery, 45452 North Territorial Road, Plymouth, Michigan, established by John Tibbits in 1826. No active burials are being done and many of the remains have been removed to Riverside Cemetery. Plymouth area high school students were instrumental in clearing the weeds and underbrush from this cemetery and helped restore this historic area.
The Old Baptist Cemetery, established in 1845, also known as Plymouth Village Cemetery, North Village Cemetery, Old York Street Cemetery, or North Plymouth Cemetery, is located at York and Pearl Streets in Plymouth, Michigan. This is no longer an active cemetery, but is maintained by the City of Plymouth. Many early settlers are buried in Old Baptist. Local lore suggests that prior to being a Village cemetery, it was used by the Ottawa Indians as a burial ground. Several researchers are still interested in this aspect of the location, including Mr. Mark A. McDonald who writes about The Mystery of the Black Stone of the Potawatomi in his blog.
Riverside Cemetery is located on Plymouth Road, one half mile east of Lilly Road in back of the 35th District Court House. In 1877, the Village of Plymouth purchased land from Franklin and Ellen Shattuck and Riverside Cemetery was established on this site in 1880. Additional property was purchased in 1921 to bring Riverside to its current size.
The Plymouth District Library is grateful to Garry D. Packard who generously provided the index data and historical background for the local area cemeteries.
Old Baptist Cemetery
The Last Name can be left blank if other fields are used. Otherwise include the full Last Name.
The First Name may be left blank or contain the first one or more letters of the name.
Dates may be left blank or contain a four digit year with an optional month and day. For example "1974" or "2-16-1974" are acceptable.